Moth Prevention for Your Home
It is estimated that over a million homes in the Australia experience problems with moths, and it’s an issue that is getting worse. With central heating, their life cycle has now become active all year around. Finding moths can cause significant distress and we learn a lot from speaking directly to people on the phone. Problems range from disgust at moth larvae in rugs, horror at holes in cashmere jumpers, worry about wool carpets to food moths in kitchen cupboards.
You may think that these invaders are merely night time butterfly-type insects that flit around your lampshade in the summer, or lurk in the tapestries of a stuffy grand manor house. But some species will creep into modern homes in search of a meal! The clothing moths larvae will happily eat your jumpers and carpets, and many other natural fibres which contain tempting and tasty proteins such as wool, cashmere, silk or linens.
So, how do you stop moths?
- REMOVE – Take everything out of your wardrobes and drawers and thoroughly vacuum.
- CLEAN – Clean all storage AND clothes, as they love traces of food and sweat on fabrics.
- KILL – Choose a method of eradicating your moth population from your home. There are many sprays, powders and more that will kill all stages of the insect from eggs and larvae to adults.
- DETER – As prevention is the best cure, protect your fabrics with chemical moth repellents or cedar wood or natural anti moth scented sachets, depending on your preference, to stop moths returning. For expensive garments, it’s also a good idea to find air tight storage.
- MONITOR – Place pheromone moth traps close to affected areas to monitor for adult moths which will also break the breeding cycle and reduce their numbers.
- REFRESH – Keep replacing deterrents every 3 to 6 months, as they will wear out and lose their scent in time. Keeping on top of this problem will keep your clothes safe.
Taking these measures for your clothes are important as the most expensive items, such as cashmere, are the most vulnerable to moths. Early signs indicate that there is a significant market for moth prevention products, with research showing that an estimated 1.5 million households in the Australia have suffered from moth damage.
Reasons to contact Pest Disturbers your pest control expert.
With 10 Years of experience in pest control-this brings peace of mind as we know how to take care of your situation.
We are your pest professionals and are fully trained to understand your immediate issue and investigate the cause of the problem to prevent in future.
Pest Disturbers staff are fully qualified, licensed pest controllers and follow Australian standards.
Our experience allows us to be very careful inside your house and work with family members, to achieve the desired outcome-the removal of pests.